Wednesday, February 17, 2010

February 16,2010

I have been thinking of a song my beautiful 2 year old sings when someone says they can't do something and it brought a big smile to my face. Whenever she hears anyone say , "I am having trouble opening this jar or whatever the person can't do".... she always sings the song from Yo Gabba Gabba, "Never give up, keep trying". From the mouth of babes is what comes to mind here. She is such a sweet positive thinking little girl. I love her dearly. Thank you Lord for blessing our family with this beautiful baby girl!

I will be posting two recipes today. I had two requests from my beautiful daughters.
Pinto Beans
Ingredients:
3 cups pinto beans
1 cup salt pork, cubed bacon pieces
2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion chopped
2 medium fresh tomatoes chopped (substitute 1 can whole tomatoes)
1 handful cilantro (coriander)
1 or 2 fresh jalapenos
2 quarts water
salt and pepper to taste
Cooking steps:
1. Pick and wash pinto beans. Drain.
2. In large cooking pot heat two quarts water. Add dry beans, salt pork, or bacon, and garlic. Cover and simmer 2 hours.
3. Add onion, coriander, chili peppers, and whole tomatoes. Cover and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender. Add salt and pepper.
Serves 10-12
*If you want to cook beans overnight in crockpot just add all ingredients at once and cook on low or during the day all day on low.
Enjoy!
Carne Guisada in Crockpot
(Mexican Stew)
2 lbs cubed stew meat
1/4 ts cumin
1/4 ts pepper
1 garlic clove
1 medium tomato
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup onion
1/4 cup bell pepper
1 tablespoon flour mixed in 1/3 cup water (optional) I skip this step on mine but if you want a thicker stew you can add the flour
Cooking steps:
Add 3/4 cup water to crockpot and then add all ingredients at once. Cook on low all day or on high half day. If you want to add the flour mixture you can add towards the end of the day.
Enjoy on a bed of brown rice or Mexican rice.
*If you like potatoes add one or two potatoes to all the ingredients. It is very good without the potatoes though.
Serves: 4- 6 people

3 comments:

  1. For the beans recipe in the ingredients I meant to write salt pork or bacon pieces. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nellie! Welcome to the world of blogging. It's a lot of fun, although I have to admit, my poor blog has been terribly neglected since I joined FaceBook! I'm trying to get back to it.

    How fun to share recipes!!! And I've been looking for a good carne guisada recipe! I'm going to give yours a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tecla!
    Thank you for visiting my site! If you have any questions about the carne guisada recipe please don't hesitate to ask.

    ReplyDelete